Tuesday, May 26, 2009

American Idolatry

Today's Annoyance: Why us? Why not me?
Mantra of the Day: If he can do it, I can do it.

So last week, the country chose its latest American Idol. Among all of the pomp and circumstance that surrounds the big finale show, I still cannot get over the number of people who vote to choose the winner of this singing competition. I am not sure how many people typically vote in a U.S. election, but it seems that turnout is just as strong. But, really? There seems to be something inherently wrong with this picture to me. What does that say about the priorities of the "average Joe or Jane" in this country?
I have a feeling that we just place a high priority on entertainment and we always love a good drama that incorporates the quintessential American Dream. Watching normal people from all walks of life coming together to try to make their dreams come true, and pick up a bucket full of cash along the way. Hmmm... I wonder if there is a jet setter equivalent that I could compete for. I think that I'll have to look into that one.

Ta ta, for now!



[IMAGE: Courtesy of television.gearlive.com]

Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats