Friday, April 3, 2009

Wedding Etiquette

Today's Annoyance: Awkward social situations
Mantra of the Day: Alcohol is not my friend.

My latest mini crisis is that I am invited to a wedding this weekend of two people who I don’t even know. One of my gay boyfriends needs a date to go to his ex-boyfriend’s nuptials who apparently turned straight after their relationship ended when he found God and decided he wanted a traditional family. Yeah, I know it’s a bit strange, but then again, it’s New York City and you see it all here. Point is, what is a girl to do when you are at a stranger’s wedding? Especially when it is your date’s ex and you are not romantically involved.


At first, I was hoping to just enjoy the free champagne and spend the night laughing at everyone else for either A) their lack of fashion sense or B) their inebriation. Then there is the question of what to wear. I must admit, that I have some stunning pieces in my wardrobe, but it is never in good taste to upstage the bride. After all, it is her day. I have no idea what she looks like or what type of bride she might be: hot or, well, not. On second thought, it probably isn’t proper etiquette to allow myself to be overserved then embarrass my date. There is a good chance that I could be the person who ends being laughed at after my sixth glass of bubbly and it suddenly seems socially acceptable to dance the lambada with the groom’s father.


So what is a girl to do to entertain herself while still being dignified? Please guys, I need help on this one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[IMAGE: Courtesy of Getty Images]



Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats