Tuesday, April 21, 2009

All the more reason for me to take over the world

Today's Annoyance: Strange laws
Mantra of the Day: When I rule the world, I plan to impose fashion laws.

One of the cool things about traveling is that you learn a lot about a new country, the culture and yourself. In my travels, I have discovered a vast number of strange (dare I say, stupid) laws imposed by local and national governments. Sadly, I can't just point my finger at other countries because we have more than a few stupid laws on record here in the U.S. Here are some of the more interesting laws that I've witnessed:

1. Running out of gas on the Autobahn is illegal. (Germany)
2. In Sweden, prostitution is legal, but it is illegal to use the services of a prostitute.
3. You can be fined up to $100 for driving a dirty car in Moscow.
4. An un-flushed toilet warrants a $100 ticket in Singapore.
5. Drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad in San Salvador.
6. Thailand imposes a $600 fine and/or a jail sentence if you're caught throwing chewed bubblegum on the sidewalk.
7. Birds have the right of way on highways in Utah.
8. In Arkansas, it's illegal to mispronounce the name of the state.
9. No person in the state of Washington may walk around in public if he or she has a common cold.
10. In Tombstone, Arizona, it is illegal for men and women over the age of 18 to have less than one missing tooth visible when smiling.
11. It's illegal to be drunk on trains in Michigan.
12. Rockville, Maryland law forbids swearing on the highways.

Somehow, I'm guessing that some of these laws are hardly enforced. But just to be on the safe side, you might want to check Dumb Laws before your travel.

Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats