Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Pesky Clients

Today's Annoyance: People who don't know that they've crossed the line
Mantra of the Day: I love my job.

I mentioned the other day that I just came back from a business trip. What I failed to mention is that it was a business trip to Minnesota. In winter. (I truly felt like I had been sucked into the plot of Rene Zellweger's latest movie, New in Town.) Yeah. Anyway, I was there visiting an important client. We not only spent time talking shop, I also had to schmooze them a little by ‘entertaining’ them, which really means that I get to foot the bill while they do whatever it is that they enjoy doing. In this instance, I think the entertaining part was watching this city slicker freeze her ass off in the snow and look like an idiot.



What they chose to do was to go ice fishing followed by a polar bear swim. Yeah, did I mention that I love Miami, i.e. warm weather? Just because I live in Manhattan does not mean that I enjoy extreme cold – it’s a common misconception. Yes, it ended up being a cheap day out, but after clumsily fiddling with a fishing pole and a hole in the ice, then having to strip down to my bathing suit to jump into frigid waters, I was starting to question my motivation for doing my job. The cold water is supposed to be good for you because it gets the blood flowing. I don’t know about all of this, but the customer is always right. I can’t wait for my next jet setting jaunt. I think that I need a little break after that.



Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats