Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Fashionista survival guide

Today’s Annoyance: Disaster at the end of the tunnel

Mantra of the Day: We’ll get through this together.


Call me “Pollyanna” but I have no intention of subscribing to the disaster mentality of the populace. Am I in denial about the economy? Not at all. But, I am not going to walk around dressed in sack cloth waiting for the bread lines to start. I have faith that the economy will turn around but it’s going to take awhile. In the meantime, as we all tighten our literal and proverbial belts, I plan to let my fabulousness continue to shine through.


Here is my 5-step survival guide for the fashionista-turned-recessionista:

  1. Find the outlets. Outlets are very cool because you can buy name-brand clothing and accessories at discounted prices. For those of you in the U.S., go to the Outlet Locator or Outlet Bound to find outlets in your area. Premium Outlets has locations throughout the U.S., Mexico, Japan and Korea. If you live outside of these areas, try searching for “outlet mall” using your city or country name.
  2. Mix-and-match. Fast-fashion coupled with some lux items can create a really nice look. No one will ever know that you’re wearing H&M, Michael Kors and Celine together unless you tell them.
  3. Comparison shop. It’s the most fantastic thing about the Internet!
  4. Be grateful for what you have. Go shopping in your own closet. I’m continually amazed by the number of occasions when I “discovered” something in my closet that I had forgotten all about.
  5. Have courage, my readers, because saving is très chic now. I’m happy for the trust-fund babies who can still pay full price but if I can get a deal, why not?

Share your survival tips with me. Ciao for now!



Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats