Wednesday, February 18, 2009

No waiting on aisle 2!

Today’s Annoyance: Habitual tardiness

Mantra of the Day: You’ve got 15 minutes then, I’m gone.


I have a habit of taking a book with me wherever I go. Although I have gotten used to waiting at least a few minutes when I’m meeting with people – for business or for pleasure – I am still amazed at how often people are late and how they handle it.


Being late is practically synonymous with living in big cities. There’s traffic, bad weather, previous meetings that run late, and sudden accidents. These are things that are typically beyond our control. Then, there is the host of unacceptable reasons for habitual tardiness – poor time management, forgetfulness (use a calendar, damn it!), and giant egos (“Let them wait.”).


Being late isn’t an absolute deal breaker for me; stuff happens. Besides, I’ve been late before. (Just once, but that was years ago…) But, if you are going to be late, be courteous about it. (Emily Post, we really need you right now!) Call ahead (or text the person, if it’s a casual acquaintance) to let them know that you’re running behind. Oh, an apology might be nice, too. You know…’cause time is money. Waste my time and that’s money down the drain! And seriously, the habitual part sucks. No one is so important that they’re always running late. If I can be on time, you, mere mortal, have no excuse!


To minimize my wasted time, I employ 2 rules: I always take a book to read and I allow 15 minutes for the person to either call or show up. If I don’t hear from them or see them within 15 minutes, I’m out. If I’m at home, I start making other plans. Naturally, this doesn’t work so well with service people. You know, the phone or cable company that gives you some stupid 4 to 8 hour window when they’re supposed to show up. And of course I can’t forget the doctor’s office. Has anyone EVER actually seen a doctor at the scheduled time?


You’re probably thinking, why not just chat with a friend on the phone while I’m waiting? Seems like an easy enough option. Except for the fact that I hate phones, for the most part, and prefer to use them only when absolutely necessary and always while I’m doing something else (other than waiting!). You see, for me, talking on the phone is another time waster.


You must have stories. So tell me…. Ciao!



Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats