Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Do you work here?

Today’s Annoyance: Holier than thou sales clerks
Mantra of the Day: I'm the one with the money.

I know that I might have talked about this before, but this topic definitely needs repeating. Have I mentioned that I hate snotty sales clerks? It seems like the more money you are spending, the ruder they get. This is something that I need to work on personally, but if I encounter an unexpected asshole, at say the perfume counter, it can ruin my whole day. I try to be nice as a policy but sometimes these people pull my inner bitch out faster than I can ask “How much?”


The other day I was in a high-end designer boutique, which shall remain nameless. I was feeling like treating myself to something cute and I walked in knowing what I wanted already. I could have robbed the store blind because there was no one to be seen in the place. I took my item and a gorgeous little pump to look for someone who could help me. The sales people were all huddled in the backroom busy chatting, laughing and paying me no attention. Only after waving my arms in the air did they notice me standing there. I told them I wanted to purchase the one item and try on the pumps in my size. The woman took the shoe without a word, looked me up and down saying, 'Do you realize how much these cost? Are you sure you can afford them?" Shocked and trying to hold my inner bitch steady, I said, "Yes, seven and a half." She brought the shoe box, dropped it on the floor by my feet and walked away to continue her conversation with her co-worker.

I coolly walked over, cleared my voice and with one clean swoop knocked over a display of belts onto the floor. "Oops, did I do that? Now, do your job and clean it up." I then sashayed my shante right out the door and don't think I'll go back again.

Let me know if you ever let your inner bitch run free or had an encounter like mine. See you tomorrow!

[IMAGE: Courtesy of Getty Images]


Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats