Monday, January 19, 2009

I'm a jet set newbie

Today’s Annoyance: People who fake it and never make it.

Mantra of the Day: I am flawed yet fabulous.


Just so we’re clear, I was not born rich. Yes, I exude fabulousness, but you don’t need money to do that. When I was growing up, I always believed that I was a rich girl trapped in a middle class girl’s body. Thanks to years of paying my dues on Wall Street, I now have a teeny bit of disposable income (much less than before, thanks to the lovely little financial meltdown down that the global markets are experiencing!).


Now that we have that out of the way…I’m really enjoying adapting to the jet set lifestyle. High fashion, lots and lots of private parties and other fab events, and the coolest thing of them all, is traveling!!!


Admittedly, I’m regularly reminded of my rank as an outsider among my true socialite pals. There’s the occasional dining disaster like this one time when I was at this really posh restaurant and I had a scallop fly off my fork and land on a nearby table. Nice, huh? And, of course, there’s my sometimes questionable ability to walk in stilettos. As much as I love them, they don’t always seem to love me back. Once, when I was rushing down the street, talking on my cell phone, my heel got stuck in a manhole cover and it took me a few minutes to get my shoe out. Lovely. If I’m going to stop traffic, I’d prefer it happen for my looks. Suffice it to say that I’m learning to live the jet set life but I’ll never be one of those women who can sashay effortlessly in 5-inch heels while talking on the phone, even while drunk.


xox



Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats