Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Have you gone "glamping" yet?

Today's Annoyance: Stupid media combo words
Mantra of the Day: Camping has never looked more attractive.

If you're gonna go camping, glam is definitely the way to go. I'm just not the "pitch a tent, sleep on the ground, roughing it" kind of girl. When I was a kid, I threatened to run away when my mom suggested that I join the Girl Scouts. (With all due respect to the Girl Scouts, of course.) That's simply not my thing. Picture me digging a latrine. Yeah, right.


Despite the um, less than fab name, "glamping" (aka glamorous camping) is right up my alley. I know some of you will say: "No, Ava. To truly enjoy the experience, you have to sleep under the stars and truly be one with nature!" Glamping includes all of that, with a few little amenities to make life more pleasurable as you enjoy the great outdoors. Like a spring mattress with crisp sheets and a warm blanket, electricity and a butler. Nice.

While some might see this as ultimately shallow, to me it looks like kismet at work; the attraction of opposites - the wild and the refined. Besides, you knew it had to happen at some point. How could you ever expect people who spend tens of thousands of dollars for etiquette lessons to deal with bugs, port-a-potties and leaky tents? Although I'm not a trust-fund baby, on this issue, I must side with the monied set.

To plan your next glamping excursion, check out Go Glamping and Travel + Leisure's list of the world's best tented camps. I plan to. And while you're at it, don't forget the amazing people who make your "wildlife" adventure possible.



[IMAGE: Courtesy of Clayoquot Wilderness Resort]

Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats