Monday, August 3, 2009

Trends, schmends

Today's Annoyance: Relentless trend-chasing
Mantra of the Day: Elegance is refusal. - Coco Chanel

Plenty of my life's years have been spent at the altar of the capitalist gods. Being a child of the '80s, I've gone through a wide variety of fashion phases: leg warmers, shoulder pads, ripped jeans (several times), overalls, grunge (I still love you, Eddie Vedder!), colored denim, scrunchies, tapered jeans, bodysuits, and chunky shoes. While I feel a slight rush of embarrassment by admitting that to you, I can gleefully report that I never, ever wore harem pants, butterfly clips, stirrup pants, door knocker earrings, biker shorts (alone or under a mini-skirt), or underwear as outerwear (thank you, Madonna, Prince and Vanity 6).

I'm not sure what's come over me but I much prefer investing in classic pieces that I'll still want to wear several seasons from now. Obviously, this rules out holding onto those neon-colored Doc Martens until the style comes 'round again. lol

A few women who embody truly classic beauty and style (imho):


Coco Chanel, Grace Kelly, Michelle Obama, Cate Blanchett

I could also add Isabella Rossellini, Sophia Loren, and Princess Diana of Wales to the list. And no list is complete without the one and only Jackie O. I really admire these women but my style is just that...my style. I doubt that I'll ever be a fully recovered shopaholic but I now rely more on my own instincts when I decide what to buy. Occasionally, I'll look for inspiration and ways to reinvent what I already have but my lengthy days at the altar are long gone. Yay for me!

Peace, love and elegance to you.


[IMAGES: Courtesy of fashioncapital, fashionablepeople, telegraph, herdaily]
Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats