Monday, August 24, 2009

Jet set life on the D-list? Maybe, maybe not.

Today's Annoyance: That nothing comes without risk.
Mantra of the Day: The beauty about the D-list is that people who are on it probably don't know they are. - Kathy Griffin

A few weeks ago when I was still Stateside, I watched a portion of an episode of comedienne Kathy Griffin's reality show, "My Life on the D List". I reached the conclusion that I'm most likely a D-list jet setter (for now!). However, her life makes the D-list look pretty good. Have you seen her house in the Hollywood Hills? Not bad!

Anyhoo, here are some of the challenges that us D-list jet setters are likely to deal with on a regular
basis:

1. Wardrobe disasters. "That blouse is so two seasons ago." "Darling, surely you had time to change before tea, n'est-ce pas?" "So, who are you wearing? Is it a new designer?" A jet setter has to be fabulous at all times. All the more reason to opt for classic styles versus five-minute trends, and accessorize with loads of attitude. ;o)

2. $€£¥...Money, moolah, dinero, l'argent. You get the drift. Life can be interesting when you've got private jet dreams and a Southwest Airlines budget.

3. Running into walls of exclusivity. That's right, ladies and gents. A limited pedigree and a non-existent trust fund can be a bit of a problem. But, a la New York socialite Genevieve Jones, there is nothing to hold back a woman on a mission. No gatekeeper will stop me from reaching my goal.

4. Unending small talk. Party banter has never been one of my strong suits. Don't get me wrong; I'm a regular chatty Kathy when I'm hanging with my girls (and, of course, my fabulous gay boyfriends). But, in a mixed group, I have been known to become quite the tongue-tied wallflower. And don't let an attractive guy give me the eye; my sense of speech completely evaporates.

5. Commercial travel. 'Nuf said.

I would add time management to the list but A-listers have the same 24 hours in a day that we have. Alas, so many cities to visit, friends to catch up with, parties and events to attend. Look out world!



[IMAGE: Courtesy of Getty Images]



Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats