Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Beads saved my waistline

Today's Annoyance: That tasty restaurant food can make you fat.
Mantra of the Day: I will not be a statistic quoted at fat camp.

We all know how hard it is to save your waistline from complete ruin when you're perpetually on the road. I've made a little discovery that may help us. Technically speaking, it is not my discovery, any more than Christopher Columbus "discovered" America when there were already people happily living there for hundreds of years before he arrived.

A few years ago, a friend of mine who was traveling through different parts of Africa brought back a simple souvenir that she passed out to all of her friends. They were a single strand of beads, each a different color and the strands were varying lengths. The idea behind it was that you take the strand of beads and put it around your waist, underneath your clothes. Even though they are cute and stylish, they are meant to be kept in the unmentionable category of your wardrobe. Wearing these beads day in and day out provides a great barometer for how your weight may or may not be fluctuating. If the beads start to get a little tight, you might want to skip dessert.

For me, it has been great since I am almost always traveling and do not always have access to a scale (especially one that gives my weight in pounds). Also, I'd rather not obsess over the numbers. (OMG, I can't believe that I'm 124 pounds today when I was only 121 yesterday!! Whatever.) Plus, if you've been working out, it is a good way to tell if you are losing inches and not necessarily pounds.

Last but not least, they're really ultra sexy!


Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats