Friday, August 28, 2009

Mid-life school days

Today's Annoyance: Being older than my professors
Mantra of the Day: I have plenty to teach and much to learn.

Depending on the person, the first day of school can elicit feelings of excitement, anger, fear or apathy. Getting over the first-day hurdle gives way to longer days filled with monotone instructors blathering on about seemingly (and often) useless information, cliques (The Jocks, The Nerds, The Pretty Girls, etc.), peer pressure and piles of homework. It's no wonder that education has such a bad rap.

Most people are more than pleased to leave all that behind after graduating college in their early 20s. Some of us obviously didn't suffer enough. I happen to be one of those people who chose to go back to school in my 30s. Talk about culture shock! Surprisingly, I wasn't the only student over the age of 30. In some ways, it wasn't as bad as I thought; in some ways, it was worse. Overall, do I think that it was the right choice? I'd have to say "yes" because, at the end of the day, I got what I wanted and more. Not only do I have a graduate degree (from a European university, no less!), I also learned a new way of life that I would have never imagined in my wildest dreams. Would you go or have you gone back to school in your 30s or later?



[IMAGE: Courtesy of Getty Images]

Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats