Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Ways to avoid travel cooties

Today's Annoyance: Poor hygiene
Mantra of the Day: I make every effort to be clean and neat.

While I hardly consider myself a germaphobe, I take great issue with people who bring their slovenly habits into shared spaces. When I think of having to spend hours on end, cooped up in an airplane or a train, with people coughing and sneezing (often without covering their mouths), unbathed (seemingly for days), infected with head lice and heavenly only knows what other cooties, it makes me nauseous.

I can just hear some of my European friends now: "You Americans are such germ freaks!" In response, I have yet to don a surgical mask while traveling. For those of you who want to avoid travel cooties, here are just a few quick tips:

1. Hand sanitizer is not intended to replace soap and water but it's cool to have in a pinch. A few brands: CleanWell, Germ-X, Jao and Purell.

2. I previously mentioned that it's a good idea to pack flip flops when you travel. I often use them to walk around in my hotel room. Another option is Zinetic Pocket Slippers. Much like flip flops, these can be used to walk to the lavatory during your flight or around the hotel pool.

3. One place where flip flops and pocket slippers won't work is airport security. If you cringe at the thought of walking through this area in your bare feet, try PlaneWrap Disposable Slippers (which you can buy at Target or Amazon.com) or My Travel Feet.

4. Even if you travel first-class and stay at a five-star hotel, while you're touring through a city, you just may find yourself in need of tissue or wipes. I always keep a pocket-sized pack of Kleenex in my purse and when I travel, I often take a purse-sized pack of Wet Ones or Kleenex Splash 'N Go Hand and Face wipes. They're great for a quick clean up or if you find a place lacking toilet paper.


If you are, in fact, a tried-and-true hygiene fanatic, there are lots of other travel products just for your needs, including airplane seat covers and disposable sheets and pillowcases. Whatever floats your boat! Travel well, my friends.


[IMAGE: Courtesy of Getty Images]
Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats