Friday, July 10, 2009

Bugs, monkeys and other wildlife

Today's Annoyance: Unidentified bugs and cheeky monkeys
Mantra of the Day: It's survival of the fittest!

Whether or not you choose to travel as a backpacker or as a diva jet setter, it's likely that at some point, you're going to have to deal with wildlife. I recall entering my room at a resort in Mykonos to find a couple of bugs the likes of which I had never seen before. Much to my dismay, the hotel staff had left the balcony doors open and a few multi-legged critters had hopped or flown into my room. Let's just say that a standoff ensued. Rather than play the helpless maiden card and call the hotel desk, I put on my Sheena, Queen of the Jungle hat. I make no apologies when I say that those bugs had to go. For all I know, they could have been completely harmless. But, I wasn't taking any chances.

I also recall an incident at a lion farm in Sun City, South Africa. I took the opportunity to play with one of the adorable lion cubs that was only a few weeks old. (Did I mention that its paws were bigger than my hands? Real cute, huh?) No one had warned me that, despite this cub's size, its roar rivaled that of his much bigger brothers. Yeah. It was an interesting experience and I am happy to report that my hearing returned a few hours later.

Then, there was Eddy's monkey incident in Sodere, Ethiopia. In short, avoid eating in places where monkeys congregate. For more on preventing monkey attacks, check out Jason Daley's article.

Have any of you had run-ins with wildlife during your travels? I'd love to hear your stories.



[IMAGE: Courtesy of Global Jet Set Media, Inc.]
Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats