Friday, July 3, 2009

Interview with Lorre White, the Guru of Luxury

What better way to become a true jet setter than to learn from the best? Lorre White, the Guru of Luxury and President/CEO of White Light Consulting, was kind enough to take time out of her very busy schedule to answer a few questions.

From yoga to yachts, cars to candles, private jets to perfumes, Lorre White is the guru of all things luxury. Luxury, in her words, "is not just about amassing quantity in life, it is about living life to the fullest. Luxury is anything we do above simple survival; it is what brings comfort, enjoyment and creates life's memories. Luxury is for everyone."

Lorre White is an internationally recognized luxury expert who has been on NBC, ABC, Fox National, CNN Money, Sirius radio and in print media. Lorre is President/CEO of White Light Consulting, LLC, an international luxury marketing consulting company which helps clients to reach and maintain the Ultra High Net Worth demographic. From traveling with celebrities, athletes, business moguls and fashion icons, Lorre has experienced luxury internationally and she shares her insider's knowledge about the best of the best in all price ranges.

To say that you have been and continue to be busy is a huge understatement. You have modeled, taught at an elementary school in Haiti, worked on Wall Street, in high-end event marketing and planning, as well as in luxury corporate travel. What inspired you to start White Light Consulting?

White Light Consulting was started several years back. I had worked in so many aspects of this niche market that I kept getting calls for projects and before you knew it, I was a full-time consultant. Since that time, and really as a result of that work, I started the Luxury Channel on iTunes, which hit featured status in record time.

With so many luxurious events and high-end clients, what is the most enjoyable part of your work?

I enjoy my media work the most. I like sharing and educating people on the art of living. Luxuries are the man-made arts, wine, yacht, jet, fashion, foods...they are the best in their category. I like meeting the people who have made a mark in their industry and sharing it with everyone.

What advice would you give to aspiring jet setters for enjoying luxury on a budget?

There are many affordable luxuries. It is really the yogic philosophy to fully taste, smell, and see the moment in its full splendor. It is about being present. If you live each moment only to get to the next, at the end of your life you will find you have not really lived. When you fully savor each sip of wine and can taste the essence of the lavender and the apple tree that grew next to the vineyard, then you are experiencing the moment fully.

I'll give you a list of 10 of my favorite affordable luxuries: yoga, a good book, sitting in the sun on a warm day, lighting a scented candle, my favorite chocolate, the perfect cup of tea/coffee made just the way I like it; a snuggle with my dog Bella, a perfectly-made, extra cold dirty martini with hand-stuffed blue cheese, Spanish olives, a long talk with a good friend, a good movie on a rainy weekend. Luxury is not about cost. It is about the emotion that the art evokes. Luxury stirs an emotional response; it is often a way to create lasting life memories. All the things above are free or cost very little but they all make me feel good. All of them are even better when shared with a friend or a loved one.

Who is the most impressive and inspiring person you've ever met, and why?

It is impossible to compare apples to oranges. When I met Amma, the international spiritual leader, I was struck with a profound quiet calm and palpable love that she generated. The times I have had dinner with Charles Barkley and Michael Jordan, I laughed heartily. When I listen to Warren Buffet, I was impressed with his intellect and ability to communicate in the humblest terms. I have known many celebrities in all fields. I cannot compare the many celebrities that I have known. Instead, I value each of their unique gifts and am grateful for having the opportunity to have experienced them.

Which countries have you visited so far, and which destination is your favorite?

I love the south of France from May through July. To me, it is the ultimate destination for beauty, great weather, food, wine, and exciting events that pepper the calm, lazy, welcoming days of the season. I love Italy August through October. I love Italy for the way the Italians embrace life, and a couple of visits a year are a must. September in East Hampton. In the winter, I like to take a trip some place warm and explore many exotic places. November through February, I like to be in the City, London or Paris. I think Paris is one of the most beautiful cosmopolitan cities in the world.

You are a member of many elite international networking clubs. How would you advise my readers to expand their international contact base and network with the upper echelon?

One of the first successful sites is A Small World (ASW), which is an online, invitation-only, international, social networking site for the elite, founded in 2004. They currently have about 330,000 members worldwide who are wealthy tastemakers and influencers.

If your readers want to learn more about the luxury market, I suggest that they subscribe to my luxury blog. They will automatically receive my new postings by e-mail, no more often than once a day.

You are a very successful businessperson and a genuine international jet setter, which is the life that many of us aspire to. How do you manage your busy schedule?

Everyone who is successful in life is busy. If you're going to fly with the big boys, you better be professional and well-organized. A team of great people, knowledgeable in their specific fields, is a must.

What is the major goal that is currently driving you? In other words, what wakes you up in the morning and gets you excited about work and life?

White Light Global Productions is my current driving force.

If someone is invited to a major event, such as a ball or high-profile awards ceremony, but they're on a limited budget, what would you suggest as appropriate attire to make a good impression?

If you can't aford a new evening dress for every event, buy a few classics that are simple and flattering. Elegant is always better than trendy. You can change it up with the accessories that you use. If you have a friend your size, exchange dresses with her.

What travel tips would you give my readers for arriving refreshed to faraway destinations and for minimizing jet lag?
First day is always rough but do what you can to match the time zone you are in when you arrive...and it will get easier after that. If you sleep when you want, you will stay on your old time zone. I take 2 Benadryl if I need to sleep before I am tired. If you drink a lot of alcohol on the plane, that also makes it difficult to adjust.

[IMAGES: Courtesy of Lorre White]


Share/Save/Bookmark
 
Web Stats